L' ancien couvent des Récollets
Dates & opening times
In 1791, the revolutionary authorities authorized the Directoire and the District of Marennes to buy the property and install the court, a prison, the offices of the sub-prefecture and the town hall.
The sub-prefecture moved to rue François Fresneau, and in 1860 the town hall was moved to a handsome building on rue Clémenceau. The former convent was devoted entirely to legal affairs. The first floor housed the dungeons and two courtrooms, the second floor the judges' offices and the former chapel was used for religious services.
In 1864, major renovation work was undertaken. Detention facilities were rebuilt from scratch, a wing was removed and a courtyard of honor was created.
In the mid-twentieth century, the convent's former gardens and chapel were redeveloped to house the town hall. The Tribunal d'Instance et de Commerce closed its doors in 2007. The commune then bought the building, which belonged to the Conseil Général. It is currently unoccupied. They will soon be reallocated.
Not open to the public.
L' ancien couvent des Récollets Rue Maréchal Foch17320, Marennes-Hiers-BrouageFranceItinerary