L'ancienne Sous Préfecture
Initially housed in the former Récollets convent (now the town hall) - where the town hall, court and prison are also located - it moved in 1900 to this former 18th-century mansion, home to the "Froger de la Rigaudière" family and two private houses.
Major modernization work was undertaken to unify the building, with the addition of a gateway to the square. At the rear, a long facade in classic Renaissance style was built in place of the carriage house and winery.
In 1926, after two centuries of existence, the sub-prefecture became redundant, leading to a certain decline.
The buildings now house a delegation of the Charente Maritime General Council.
Not open to the public.
L'ancienne Sous Préfecture 10, Rue François Fresneau17320, Marennes-Hiers-BrouageFranceItinerary