Maritime heritage

Oléron Island and the Marennes Basin's heritage possess an maritime heritage.

The Phare de Chassiron located at the northern end of the island, was inaugurated on December 1, 1836. It is the oldest lighthouse in the region and one of the first that can be seen by approaching ships. It was built using Crazannes stones (a quarry situated between Rochefort and Saintes) and Vendée granite was used for its 224 steps that scale its towering 46 metres. Its staircase construction with risers is an unusual feature. Nowadays the lighthouse is entirely automated and under constant watch from La Rochelle. There is security staff working on site 24 hours a day in Saint-Pierre d'Oléron and the lighthouse is open to visitors all year round.

The Moulin des loges, an old flour windmill In Saint-Just-Luzac, was built at the start of the 18th century and at the heart of the Seudre's salt pans. Guided tours are available if you wish to find out more about the milling process and the activities and history of the salt pans as well as information on "fish ditches".
The Moulin des Loges site is open from June 15th to the end of August.

Another site of interest is the shipyard in Château d'Oléron: chantier naval Robert Léglise. It is the last remaining nautical wood construction site in this region. This shipyard is still in use thanks to the association "Chantier Naval Robert Léglise". This asociation provides maintenance and repair work on traditional local boats.

Vos avis...