Official site of the Tourist Office of Oléron Island and Marennes Basin

Search

Saint-Trojan-les-Bains

Saint-Trojan-les-Bains is at the extreme south-west tip of the Ile d’Oléron, bathed by the Maumusson strait and the Oléron channel.
 

Introduction :

Huge expanses of fine sandy beaches, pine-forests and a gentle climate have made Saint-Trojan-les-Bains a popular seaside resort since the end of the 19th century. Called at various times Saint-Turjan, la Montagne (during the Revolution) then finally Saint-Trojan, the village and its inhabitants encountered many difficulties before being able to add “les-Bains” to the final name in 1898. Mimosa is the emblem of Saint-Trojan-les-Bains and was introduced in 1892 by M and Mme Martin after they had holidayed on the Côte d’Azur. In February each year, the Mimosa Festival is in full swing: parade, decorated floats… an unmissable event!

A recent member of “Villages de pierres et d’eau” (a network of exceptional villages situated at the water’s edge), Saint-Trojan-les-Bains is also home to the thalassotherapy centre of the Ile d’Oléron. 

The oyster port, with its rainbow-coloured huts, is an authentic spot to stroll around. Although the port is still busy, many of the huts have been converted for use by artists, craftsmen and even restaurateurs. 
 

Sites :

Saint-Trojan-les-Bains is characterised by its seaside resort architecture from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Inspiration has been drawn from Neo-gothic, Anglo-Norman and Basque sources. At the end of the 19th century, Saint Trojan was already considered as a popular yet select resort, as these buildings (some are listed) attest. Various materials were used in their construction: dressed-stone, brick, wood, slate, rubble, interlocking tiles…

The church (1661) replaced a building from the Middle Ages that had been covered by the sands. It is built of dressed stone (some of which come from the medieval church) and limestone. The bell-tower dates from 1824. 

Vos avis...