Official site of the Tourist Office of Oléron Island and Marennes Basin

Search

Saint-Georges d'Oléron

Saint-Georges d'Oléron is the largest municipality on the island, being situated between Saint-Denis d'Oléron, La Brée les Bains to the north and Saint-Pierre d'Oléron to the south.
 

Introduction :

Saint-Georges d'Oléron covers an area of 4,700ha and has more than 16km of beaches; in addition, there are a large number of villages, each with its own history and character. Pine forests, huge expanses of fine sandy beach, local architecture, local produce on sale in the colourful markets, pleasure ports, heritage – all these are trump cards for the holiday-maker choosing Saint-Georges d'Oléron.
 

Sites :

Listed in 1931, the Romanesque church of Saint-Georges d'Oléron is one of the most noteworthy in the entire island – the oldest part, the current nave, fortified against invaders, dating back to the 11th century. When the nave was completed in the 13th century, Aliénor of Aquitaine gave the church to the Abbaye aux Dames in Saintes which had the work completed. Sadly, the church was a victim of the Wars of Religion in the 16th and 17th centuries and was pillaged and damaged several times. Requisitioned during the Revolution, the church was finally returned to the practice of religion in 1800, having served for a while as a barn. Extensive restoration began in 1968.

A superb covered market dating back to 1864 stands in the centre of the village and the beautiful bourgeois houses bordering the square attest to the wealth of 19th century businessmen.

Vos avis...